Friday, June 27, 2008

Backpacking on Lin's Days Off

We just returned from a two day backpacking trip to Ross Lake. We hiked in three miles,
then took a short boat trip ($55.00) on the Ross Lake Resort Ferry to May Creek Camp. (Ross Lake is actually a reservoir, though lovely, amidst snow capped peaks and numerous waterfalls.)
We, of course had a permit (required for overnight camping in The Park) but when we got to our "reserved" spot two tents and four guys were already camped there. Lin mentioned that she was an "off duty ranger" so she really did know the permit system. We both requested that they find another spot. Except for cleaning up after them, we felt really grateful that they cooperated.

The hiking in and out was through the forest, cool, and lovely, although the 7.8 miles walk yesterday was a little long for me. Lin carried a much bigger pack and carried some of my stuff. She convinced me that she needed the practice/training for carrying the weight on her future solo patrols. So, I was glad to help her out.

We had good weather for hiking, some sun, a little rain, and not too warm. Today is supposed to be in the 80's and tomorrow the 90's. I think we lucked out by hiking before the heat wave. There is lots of water in all the creeks and streams; the high heat should accelerate the snow melt.

Lin is back to work today, still training the new recruits, and enjoying her new role as "lead" in the Wilderness Office. I'm gardening and expecting some visitors in the next week. We are both very grateful that summer is here.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Linda Reeder said...

Looks pretty good, but I don't know if I could still do 7+ miles with or without a pack! Lazy days here now that the kiddos are gone. Check my blog for our adventures.
Linda