Bonjour from Paris. I'm in awe of this city and much to my surprise, I'm finding plenty I can eat! Many tea houses, Salon de The' so I haven't wanted for my spot of tea. My two favorite experiences of this day: visiting the Deportation Memorial; beautiful in it's simplicity. In one area are mosiac triangles representing each of the groups of people the Third Reich deemed necessary to exterminate. Powerful to actually be in a city where thousands were deported. The surprise of the day, getting to see the Paris Marathoners at kilometer 26. I'd heard the marathon was today and saw the coverage on French television, but then there they were so I found a spot on the edge of a bridge surrounded by Parisians shouting their encouragements. I looked for Americans, but couldn't pick any out so I joined in clapping and yelling my encouragement to anyone who looked completely pooped. I had great empathy and a tiny bit of envy. I feel pretty comfortable here except when I'm ordering food. I haven't been kicked out of the city for wearing my stocking cap and I have it on a lot cuz it's freezing. Even Stef hasn't given me a bad time. Oh, almost forgot. Within our first hour in the city, high school students staged a protest. They are upset because a favorite professor was canned and because of many unfavorable changes in their education. I can't quite picture students in the new country doing that. Anyway, we got to see and hear them take to the streets and witnessed at least a hundred police dressed in their riot gear complete with shields. From my readings, I gather it's quite the typical Paris event. We don't have our photo equipment with us this trip to the internet cafe, but will send pictures with the next blog. Hey Rosemary, this computer experience is pretty fun. Not as fun as the Wild office though.
Au revoir,
Lin
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It's so fun to hear about your activities. Keep your commentary coming. Our weather is still cold here too. (We had fun Saturday night in Leavenworth with Janice & Roger.)
Love,
Jeanne & Diane
Bonjour! I have been thinking about you and wondering how your trip is going - I am so glad I can check here for updates. You are inspiring me, too. I haven't thought much of European travel recently but now I am starting to imagine taking Jack there some day. If you see anything he must see, please let us know.
Je t'aime et pomme de terre!
Mary
Happy Birthday Steffany!
Mary
Yes, Happy Birthday Stef! Hope you get to walk your labyrinth today. Happy Anniversary also...
Have a safe trip home. We look forwarding to hearing more.
love, Jeanne & Diane
Post a Comment